13) Roger Goodall must’ve had some indigestion with his turkey when he heard that Ravens’ QB Lamar Jackson tested positive for COVID.
If the Baltimore-Pittsburgh game gets postponed out of this week, it probably creates a Week 18 of the regular season, which would push the playoffs back a week and eliminate the extra week between conference title games and the Super Bowl.
12) Texans 41, Detroit 25
— Texans won three of their last four games, after a 1-6 start.
— JJ Watt had a pick-6 in the first quarter.
— Two of Houston’s four TD drives were shorter than 40 yards.
— Detroit lost four of last five games, giving up 32.6 ppg.
— Lions are 6-12 ATS in last 18 games as a home underdog, 0-3 TY.
— From 2014-17, Detroit was 36-28 under Jim Caldwell; he got fired.
— Last three years, Detroit is 13-29-1 under Matt Patricia; he still has a job.
11) Since Barry Sanders retired in 1999, Detroit has averaged 92.2 rushing yards/game, the lowest amount of any NFL team during that time.
10) Washington 41, Dallas 16
— Washington won three of its last four games, after a 1-5 start.
— Washington scored a defensive TD, had short TD drives for 19-23 yards.
— Washington is 3-2 inside the division, with losses by 1-3 points.
— Washington is 17-12-1 ATS in last 30 games as a road underdog.
— Things unraveled for Dallas after an ill-fated fake punt failed badly.
— Cowboys lost five of their last six games.
— Last nine games, Dallas is minus-13 in turnovers.
— Cowboys are 2-9 ATS this year; their three wins by total of 7 points.
— Dallas lost four of its last six Thanksgiving games.
9) Western Kentucky 75, Memphis 69:
— WKU big man Charles Bassey had 21 points, 14 rebounds.
— Hilltoppers play West Virginia in the tournament final Friday.
8) Gonzaga 102, Kansas 90:
— Game was tied with 16:35 left; Zags pulled away late.
— Gonzaga scored 1.24 points/possession, very efficient.
— Talent level for Kansas is down a little this season.
7) Villanova 83, Arizona State 74
— Villanova was +16 on the boards in this game.
— Arizona State was 12-21 on foul line, after going 34-46 Wednesday.
6) Virginia Cavaliers scored 89 points in their season opener Wednesday; they averaged 57 ppg last year, with a season-high of 78, in a win over Boston College. Tony Bennett added shooters, and Virginia looks poised for another excellent year.
5) ESPN’s Paul Biancardi was saying this week that this year’s freshman class in college hoop is one of the most talented in years. Something to keep an eye on this winter.
4) Strange/ominous scores from this week so far:
— USC 95, Cal Baptist 87 OT
— St Francis PA 80, Pittsburgh 70
3) When Sam Merrill got drafted by Milwaukee, it was the first time in 34 years the NBA had drafted a Utah State Aggie (Greg Grant).
2) After he passed away in 2015, former North Carolina basketball coach Dean Smith sent each of his former players a $200 check for a night out on him- he had a lot of former players.
1) Belated congratulations to the NC Dinos, who won the Korean World Series in six games over the Doosan Bears. I enjoyed learning about the KBO this year, but the 5am first pitch for lot of their games was a bit much.