13) Chiefs were +45 in turnovers the last three years, in large part because Alex Smith doesn’t turn the ball over very much, but now Smith plays for the Redskins and Patrick Mahomes is the starter, with only one NFL start under his belt.
Chiefs @ Chargers might be the most interesting matchup in NFL’s Week 1.
12) Kansas State had to rally from down 24-12 in 4th quarter vs I-AA South Dakota LW, now they’re a home underdog to Mississippi State. K-State has traditionally been profitable as a home underdog under Bill Snyder- interesting noon game.
11) Bills made the playoffs for the first time in 19 years LY, then traded their QB away and drafted Josh Allen, who isn’t the starter yet. Buffalo has the lowest over/under win total in Las Vegas for this season- there are low expectations for their opener in Baltimore.
10) Lane Kiffin’s Florida Atlantic squad was pummeled by Oklahoma LW; now they’re a home favorite against Air Force and its option attack— how will the Owls bounce back?
9) Tyrod Taylor is that QB Buffalo traded away; he’s the starter in Cleveland now— the Browns have been bet down by the public. Steelers opened at -7; now they’re -4. Cleveland turned the ball over 41 times LY; if Taylor can cut that number in half, Browns will be a vastly improved team this season.
8) Chip Kelly’s UCLA team lost as a 14-point home favorite last week; now they’re a 30-point underdog at Oklahoma. Plus, UCLA’s QB got hurt LW; thats no bueno.
7) Sportsbooks in New Jersey are taking lot of Super Bowl bets on the Giants, so their opener with Jacksonville will be interesting.
Jaguars are 3-17 vs spread in their last 20 games vs NFC teams, but they made the playoffs LY, while the Giants were going 3-13.
6) Detroit Tigers’ two TV announcers apparently got into a fight after Tuesday night’s game and were not on the air for Wednesday’s game. Imagine if that had happened during the game? Will these guys ever work together again? They might’ve ruined both of their careers.
5) Jets’ rookie Sam Darnold will become the youngest player in Super Bowl era to start at QB in a Week 1 game. New Lions’ coach Matt Patricia went to college at RPI, near where I live, in Troy, NY. Patricia’s defenses in New England stopped the Jets; how will his Detroit defense do?
4) USC at Stanford is an interesting game in the Pac-12; Trojans are starting a true freshman QB who left high school a year early, so he should really still be in HS. Awful young to be a starter.
3) Jameis Winston is suspended for the first three games this season, so the Buccaneers head to New Orleans with Ryan Fitzpatrick as their starting QB. Biggest spread of Week 1; can the Bucs hang with their division rival with their backup QB starting?
2) Herm Edwards started his Arizona State tenure with a 49-7 win over Texas-San Antonio (the Roadrunners!!!) last week; now Michigan State is coming to town. Big jump in class.
Supposed to be 107 in Tempe Saturday night; will conditioning be a factor?
1) Norv Turner is Carolina’s new offensive coordinator; Turner coaching Cam Newton’s offense promises to be fascinating. Having the Cowboys in town for the opener and the 4:25 FOX game adds to the build-up.
Enjoy the games this weekend!!!!