13) Houston 85, Cincinnati 69— Cougars were very impressive in second half; they’re 29-2 now and will be a popular sleeper to make the Final Four. Not even sure they would qualify as a sleeper— Joe Lunardi has them listed as a #3-seed in his last listing.
12) Bradley 57, Northern Iowa 54— Braves were down 18 early in second half, rallied to win first MVC title since 1988— they’re in NCAA’s for first time since 2006.
11) MAAC semis: It’ll be Monmouth vs Iona in the finals tonight.
Iona won this tournament the last three years; Monmouth started this season 0-12, won their last pre-conference game, then went 10-8 in the MAAC, finishing in 6th place.
10) SoCon semis: It’ll be Wofford vs NC-Greensboro in the finals tonight. Wofford is now 20-0 in conference games this year. I’m thinking they’re in the NCAA’s no matter what, but for the sake of their nervous systems over the next week, winning tonight would be good.
9) Gardner-Webb 76, Radford 65— Bulldogs are in NCAA’s for first time ever; they were a 7-point underdog in this game. Gardner-Webb is located in Boiling Springs, NC.
Gardner-Webb won at both Wake Forest, Georgia Tech this year; they lost by 12 at VCU, by 28 at Virginia Tech.
8) Wisconsin 73, Ohio State 67 OT— Badgers led this game by 23, blew the lead, but survived and get the #4 seed in Big 14 tournament.
7) Suns 115, Warriors 111— Golden State lost and Kevin Durant hurt his ankle. Bad night.
6) Sunday, the Tampa Bay Rays renewed the contract of ace and Cy Young winner Blake Snell; they will pay him $573,700 this coming season, not much above his $558,200 salary from last year. The minimum salary increased $10,000 to $555,000 this year, so Snell’s $15,500 raise is really only $5,500.
5) Los Angeles Lakers have 156-320 record over the past six years, which is the worst record in the NBA during that time.
4) Former Wisconsin QB Alex Hornibrook transferred to Florida State; he was 26-6 in three seasons as the starter for the Badgers, leading them to the Orange Bowl following the 2017 season. Florida State finished 10th in the ACC last year in both passing efficiency at 125.77 and completion percentage at 57.1;
3) San Diego Padres attempted 36 stolen bases in their first 16 spring training games, so looks like the Friars will be running a lot more than they have recently. Orioles are second this spring, with 26 attempted steals.
2) OF Adam Jones signed a one-year, $3M deal with the Arizona Diamondbacks.
1) Shaka Smart’s four years at Texas:
— 66-65 record, 31-41 in Big X games
— 2-3 in Big X tournament, 0-2 in NCAA’s.
Shaka Smart’s six years at VCU:
— 163-56 record, 74-30 in conference games
— 15-4 in conference tournament, 7-5 in NCAA’s.