13) Starting today with a recommendation of a fun place to go in the Albany area:
— Do you like to play golf?
— The Bunker in Guilderland is a golf simulator, where you can play lot of famous courses around the country.
— Hit a shot and it gives you club head speed, distance, lot of stats.
— There is even a mulligan button, if you hit a bad shot.
— There is a bar, you can order out food, comfortable places to sit/hang out.
— Was there Friday night with group of friends; excellent place to have fun.
— 2390 Western Avenue, just east of Western Turnpike golf course.
12) Braves 5, Marlins 4— Very costly win; Ronald Acuna tore his ACL, is out for year.
11) New York 1, Houston 0:
— Gerrit Cole threw 129-pitch complete game, most pitches thrown in a game this year.
— Aaron Boone came to mound to take him out with one out to go and Jordan Alvarez uo, but you could see Cole vehemently refusing to come out.
— Houston lost its last three games, scoring one run.
10) Nigeria 90, USA 87:
— 9 years ago, the Americans beat Nigeria by 83 points in the Olympics.
— In this game, Nigeria never trailed in the 4th quarter.
— Americans were favored by 28.5 points; yes, people bet on this stuff.
9) Lot of guys are dropping out of next week’s All-Star Game:
— All four Astros (read into that what you like)
— Mookie Betts
— Yadier Molina
There will be at least 40 first-time All-Stars in next week’s game.
8) There are only two divisional games in Week 1 of NFL in September:
Jaguars-Texans and Dolphins-Patriots.
7) San Diego Padres are rolling along at 53-38, in line for a Wild Card slot, but much of their success has happened late in games.
If games were only five innings long, San Diego’s record would be 35-41-15, so they’ve improved by 10.5 games after the 5th inning. Clutch hitting, good bullpen.
6) Biggest point spread in NFL history? In 1976, Steelers were -27 over the expansion Buccaneers- they whacked them 42-0. Tampa Bay went 0-14 that first season, then started the next season 0-12 before winning their last two games.
Only two years after that, Tampa Bay played in the NFC Championship game, and would’ve played those same Steelers in the Super Bowl had they won that game.
5) Joey Votto is 37 years old, on the tail end of an excellent career, but the Reds owe him $45M over the next two seasons. If MLB gets smart and puts the universal DH in next year, then he will still be useful, but if not, that contract could be an albatross.
Would the Reds trade Votto this month, to get rid of that $45M commitment?
4) Obscure NBA record; most points scored off the bench in an NBA Finals game is 31,
scored by Sam Cassell for the ’95 Rockets against Orlando.
3) Since 2001, longest streaks of consecutive games reaching base:
63— Orlando Cabrera
57— Barry Bonds
56— Ryan Klesko
All-time record is 84, set by Ted Williams in 1949. Very underrated record.
2) Guys who own the Dodgers now also own 27% of the Lakers. Must be fun to be really, really rich.
1) If the baseball playoffs started today (they don’t):
NL: Mets, Brewers, Giants. Wild Card: San Diego @ Los Angeles
AL: Red Sox, White Sox, Astros. Wild Card: Oakland @ Tampa Bay