13) Warriors 109, Raptors 104— Golden State opened second half on an 18-0 run; they even series 1-1, with Game 3 in Oakland Wednesday. Klay Thompson tweaked a hamstring in the 4th quarter and is questionable for Game 3.
12) Chicago Bears’ coach Matt Nagy gave the commencement address at his alma mater, the U of Delaware this weekend; they showed a 2:30 clip on Twitter and it was sound advice for all of us. Basically, the theme of the talk was:
“Be You = Believing in yourself more than anyone else.”
11) Dwyane Wade was a surprise speaker at Marjory Stoneman Douglas HS’s graduation ceremonies Sunday in Parkland, FL; that is the school where a mass shooting took place last year. The now-retired Wade has been a regular supporter of the school ever since the shooting.
We hear a lot about famous people doing cruddy things; Wade does a lot of good things.
10) Hasheem Thabeet was the No. 2 overall draft pick in the 2009 NBA Draft; he scored only 2.2 ppg in his five-year NBA career- he last played for the Thunder in 2014. Thabeet has played overseas since then.
He is 32 now, and is trying to make a comeback in the NBA. Am guessing someone gives him a shot in the Las Vegas Summer League. He is 7-foot-3, after all.
9) Had lot of thunderstorms in the Albany area Sunday, and thunderstorms knock out my satellite signal, so I can’t watch baseball. I don’t like thunderstorms.
8) Some SEC football teams are upgrading their non-conference schedules; Florida didn’t sell out recent home games with Charleston Southern, Colorado State and Idaho, plus they got hurt by strength of schedule, when you think about the college football playoff selection process, so they’ve added home/home series with Colorado/Texas.
7) Baseball stuff:
— Milwaukee put P Jhoulys Chacin (back) on the IL.
— Seattle traded Jay Bruce to the Phillies, for a minor league 3B.
— Rangers put OF Joey Gallo (oblique) on the IL.
6) Despite Bruce getting traded from Seattle to Philly, the Mets remain responsible for a $1.5M installment of his signing bonus, a payment due Jan. 31, 2020.
5) Stan Wawrinka beat Stefanos Tsitsipas in five sets at the French Open tennis tournament; match took five hours, nine minutes. Next round will be a tough one for him.
4) College basketball transfer portal:
— Former Valparaiso C Jaume Sorolla bolted to Cincinnati.
— UMass transfer Unique McLean bolted to St Francis NY.
3) Since 2016, Khris Davis has the most multi-HR games (19), followed by Giancarlo Stanton (16), Manny Machado (15) and Trevor Story (13).
2) If the baseball playoffs started today:
NL: New York-Twins-Astros. Wild Card: Rays-Rangers
AL: Phillies-Brewers-Dodgers. Wild Card: Braves-Cubs
1) Baseball draft starts at 6pm Monday; the weirdest of the drafts, since kids get picked and then disappear into the minor leagues for a few years. Hopefully this year, the A’s won’t pick any football players.
Because of the draft, it is a very slow day for games; only four games scheduled, one a makeup; the three regularly-scheduled games are all on the west coast.