13) Philadelphia Eagles signed a guy off of Denver’s practice squad; the guy was going to make $165,000 on the practice squad ($9,200/week). He’s going to make $36,666/week ($660,000 for the year) if he sticks on Philadelphia’s 53-man roster.
12) Big X is going to expand from 10 to 12 teams, with Texas/Oklahoma leaving, and BYU, UCF, Cincinnati and Houston joining.
West Virginia-Cincinnati basketball games will be interesting, with Bob Huggins coaching against a program he led to the Final Four.
11) Of the 130 quarterbacks who started for I-A college teams last week, 49 of them (37.7%) transferred in from another school.
10) Last two seasons, records in games decided by 8 or fewer points:
Chargers 7-16. This is why the Chargers have a new coach now.
9) Colleges with most active players on NFL rosters:
47— Ohio State
34— Notre Dame
8) This week, Nelson Cruz became the third player ever to hit 30+ homers after age 40; the other two guys are David Ortiz, Darrell Evans.
7) Seattle 8, Houston 5— Mariners scored four runs in 9th, are 2.5 games out of the second Wild Card slot.
6) Baltimore 9, Kansas City 8— Royals led 5-0 in bottom of 8th; Orioles scored nine times in bottom of 8th, then held on for dear life in the 9th. Baltimore is a bad baseball team, but they can score some runs.
5) San Francisco 7, Colorado 4— Giants scored four times in 9th, grabbed a 2-game lead over the Dodgers in the NL West.
4) Cubs 4, Reds 1 (10)— Jason Heyward hit a walk-off homer for the Cubs, dropping Cincinnati out of tie with San Diego for the second Wild Card slot. Cubs are playing well right now.
3) Was pretty cool to see Michael Jordan, Patrick Ewing in Cooperstown at the Hall of Fame inductions Wednesday.
2) We were debating Wednesday on future Hall of Famers and a New York City debate broke out: was Don Mattingly or Keith Hernandez the better first baseman?
I don’t think either one should/will make it into the Hall of Fame, but to me, Mattingly was clearly the better player and if you know me and my dislike of the Bronx Bombers, that emphasizes my opinion.
1) When your name is Biff and you love baseball and you’re 15 and a catcher named Biff shows up in the big leagues, he quickly becomes a hero. I have a signed post card of Biff Pocoroba on the shelf in my living room, right next to ones from Catfish Hunter, Rollie Fingers.
Johnny Bench narrated a tribute video for the baseball Hall of Famers who passed away in the last year. Lot of big names passed away, very sad. One of the Hall of Famers they showed was the great knuckleballer Phil Niekro— in two of his clips, the Braves’ catcher was #4, which got me pretty excited.
Biff Pocoroba was shown in a video at the Hall of Fame inductions; TWICE- tremendous!!!!