13) Was going to do a list of things I’m thankful for, but decided that this year, the biggest thing I’m thankful for is that the guy who operated on my detached retina studied a lot in school and became an excellent surgeon. Thank you very much, Dr Mallick!!!!
12) Kansas 90, Dayton 84 OT— Jayhawks win Maui Classic for third time in an exciting final; Dayton tied the game on a 3-pointer with 0:01.1 left in regulation.
11) Michigan State 75, UCLA 63— Bruins go to Maui after losing at home to Hofstra and get one win, over D-II Chaminade, so they’ve lost their last three D-I games. UCLA is playing tempo #308; their fans aren’t going to like coach Mick Cronin any more than they liked Ben Howland or Steve Alford or Steve Lavin.
Howland got fired by UCLA after a 3-year stretch where they went 37-17 in Pac-12 games, but only 1-2 in NCAA tournament games. Tough crowd.
10) Over the last five seasons, 17 different college basketball teams have made the Final Four, from nine different conferences.
Over the last seven NCAA tournaments, at last one team made the Final Four that was a #5 or lower seed in their region.
9) Padres/Brewers made a 4-player trade Wednesday:
Milwaukee gets: IF Luis Urias, P Eric Lauer
San Diego gets: OF Trent Grisham, P Zach Davies.
8) Pirates filled the last open manager’s spot by hiring 49-year old Derek Shelton as their new skipper. Shelton was Minnesota’s bench coach the last two years.
7) Texas Rangers signed P Kyle Gibson to a 3-year deal worth $30M. 32-year old Gibson was 13-7, 4.84 ERA with a 1.44 WHIP LY, with 160 strikeouts in 160 IP. Rangers move into their new domed stadium this coming season.
6) Ole Miss 74, Penn State 72— Rebels trailed 52-31 wth 16:23 left, by 14 wth 6:30 left- they rally to win their fifth game in six tries. Penn State won their last game by a hoop after trailing by 16 with 9:12 left- they returned the favor here.
5) The Cleveland Indians’ baseball cap that Charlie Sheen wore in the 1988 movie Major League is on the auction block; the largest bid, with eight days left to go in the auction, is $4,594.
You could get a hat just like it for $40 on the Lids website, but someone bid $4,594 for a 31-year old baseball cap that might not even be your size. Go figure.
4) Lakers 114, Pelicans 110— Anthony Davis scored 41 points in his return to New Orleans.
3) Detroit Lions are starting rookie 3rd-string QB David Blough against the Bears today. He wasn’t drafted, but Blough played in 44 games at Purdue, throwing 1,429 passes.
2) 76ers 97, Kings 91— Embiid scored 33 points, had 16 rebounds, after not scoring in his last game, in Toronto.
1) Sad to report that the Arena Football League went out of business Wednesday; they had a team here in Albany in the late 90’s, and again the last couple years. Arenaball was great fun; thought it helped develop quarterbacks, because they had to make quick decisions, and really couldn’t run much.