Random thoughts on as 2016 comes to an end……..
13) Virginia Tech 89, Duke 75— Blue Devils get tripped up in Blacksburg in first game of the Grayson Allen suspension.
Georgia Tech 75, North Carolina 63— Rough day for the bluebloods of the ACC.
12) When Lane Kiffin got fired by USC, he sold his house in Manhattan Beach to actor Vince Vaughn for $6.5M; his next-door neighbor was the guy who created the TV show Duck Dynasty. Sounds like a pretty good neighborhood to live in.
11) Bill Parcells used to say he was against drafting any QB unless the kid started for three years in college, which would make us skeptical of North Carolina’s Mitch Trubisky, who started for only one season at UNC— he is expected to declare for April’s draft.
10) Rumors on the Interweb have the 49ers totally cleaning house after tomorrow’s game, with coach and GM both getting told to take a hike. Apparently their season sweep of the Rams didn’t impress ownership very much.
9) Bowl game tallies to this point: favorites are 13-23 vs spread. Over is 15-21.
8) Nevada basketball player Jordan Caroline is the son of former NFL lineman Simeon Rice, who won a Super Bowl as a defensive end for the Buccaneers.
7) Good grief, Jennifer Garner is in a lot of TV commercials. Whats in your wallet?
6) Villanova 80, Creighton 70— 5th straight time Wildcats beat Creighton, third straight win for Villanova in Omaha, handing the Bluejays their first loss this season.
5) Big West was 13th-ranked conference each of last two years; this year, they’ve slipped all the way to #26, with #180 Cal-Irvine their top-ranked team right now. There isn’t one good team in the league; you can almost pencil in their conference tourney champ for a play-in game already.
4) LSU 29, Louisville 9— I still can’t believe LSU fired Les Miles and replaced him with Ed Orgeron; just a totally baffling move. If you’ve ever read the book Meat Market, which dealt with Orgeron’s tenure at Ole Miss, you’ll know what I’m talking about.
3) Alabama 24, Washington 7— Huskies were held to 194 yards; Alabama scored their 11th defensive TD of the season in what wasn’t an interesting game.
Two jobs you do not want; replacing Nick Saban at Alabama, Mike Krzyzewski at Duke; will be virtually impossible for the next guy to satisfy those fanbases.
2) Clemson 31, Ohio State 0— Last six years, Big 14 teams have been favored in only 13 of their 55 bowl games; think about that for a second.
Since 2011, Big 14 teams are 5-7-1 vs spread when favored in a bowl game.
1— As far as 2017 is concerned, I hope people in this country become more tolerant of each other and of differing opinions. We’re a very diverse country and we need to respect each other more. Diversity should be a strength, not a weakness. It is OK to agree to disagree.
Happy New Year, everyone. Thanks for reading.