13) Cubs manager Joe Maddon is going to have to figure out the best way to utilize closer Aroldis Chapman, especially since he had the best record in baseball while Hector Rondon was his closer. Athletes can be sensitive; a situation just like helped to unravel the Nationals’ season LY.
Maddon put Chapman in the game for a 4-out save Saturday, showing very little faith in now-setup man Rondon. Chapman blew the save; Chicago still leads NL Central by 6.5 games.
12) Maddon and Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville both do TV commercials for a Chicago liquor store; just seems unusual.
11) Cubs won Jake Arrieta’s first ten starts this season; they’re 3-8 in his last 11 starts.
10) Pittsburgh’s rookie pitcher Steven Brault went to D-2 Regis College, because he is a talented singer and Regis has a Vocal Performance major.
9) San Diego Padres went 25 games in a row with a home run; the game before and the game after the streak were both shutouts against Cincinnati, a team with only three shutouts all season.
8) Eduardo Nunez was an All-Star for the Twins earlier this month, then got dealt to the Giants; how often does an All-Star get traded after the All-Star break?
7) Colorado Rockies are now 52-52; they’ve already got 55 quality starts, compared to 54 all of last season.
6) Marlins traded for starting pitchers Andrew Cashner and Colin Rea this week; Rea left his first Miami start in the 4th inning with a sore elbow. Oy.
5) A’s put Rich Hill on the DL with blister issues, but he can come off the DL Tuesday; question is, will he still be on the A’s when he comes off the DL? Toronto is said to be interested. The trading deadline is Monday afternoon.
4) Giants started the season 17-18, then ripped off a 40-15 run that put them atop the NL West, but now San Francisco is 3-11 in its last 14 games and struggling mightily.
3) Last four times the Oklahoma Sooners were a preseason top 5 team in college football, they finished that season outside the top 15.
2) Padres traded Matt Kemp to Atlanta, eating around $11M in salary, then immediately cut the guy they got from the Braves, Hector Olivera, who comes off his domestic violence suspension next week. San Diego hosted the All-Star Game then dismantled its team. I’m sure season ticket holders are thrilled.
1– So the geniuses who schedule Presidential debates put the first two debates opposite NFL games; a Saints-Falcons game and a Giants-Packers tilt. This is just plain dumb– put the debates on Tuesday/Wednesday, when there is nothing else good on TV.